Ah UV mapping. That part of the whole 3D process where you start to wonder if you can’t just use materials to pretty up your model, and just skip that whole infuriating jigsaw puzzle.
Actually, surprisingly, this time it was rather painless. I had hoped that the low-poly blocky-ness of my model would make the whole unwrapping part easy, and luckily for me, I was right.
…though I will totally cop to wondering if I really had to unwrap + texture this when I first opened the UV editor. It wasn’t helped by the fact that at first, some fool repeatedly kept forgetting to turn off Normalise Maps (seriously, can that be off by default already?) and then, for some reason, no matter what I did, I couldn’t get any of the squares to actually be square.
There’s a pretty good reason for that, and it’s sitting right up there in the tile options. I really don’t want to admit how much time I wasted before I thought to check it in there.
Strangely enough when I fixed that, everything just started to fall into place.
That’s not to say that there wasn’t still some weird stuff going on. I still have no idea why that little bit was like that, but at least it was relatively easy to fix.
Frankly, this time around the 3D modelling block ^ this was my biggest problem. I’d wonder why everything was so slow and crashy, and then I’d find six versions of 3Ds Max just chillin’ in the background.
All the elements (er most. I still don’t actually know what those last wierd lines are, or where they belong…) Nothing’s the size it should be of course, and definitely not in proportion with each other, but there was very little in the way of distortion going on.
(The end product- I still don’t know what those weirdo lines are, but they’re still not causing me any troubles, so I guess it’s a case of not fixing what’s not broken?)
The hands gave me the most trouble out of everything – I eventually just grabbed a hold of the front and underside of the hand and planar mapped it out into a hand shape – out of the options I tried it was the best by a very long way.
The end mapped product!
And the beginnings of the texturing.
There’s some stuff that could be better – I need to tweak the stripes on the socks (they’re not showing up as strongly as they should be) and I definitely need to tweak the placement of the hair ‘island’. I don’t know why I stuck that panel so close to the face when there’s a perfectly good bit of space right beside it. It’s not really a problem in photoshop (I have a layer system of ‘if one layer is good, 50 are better) but ideally, it really should be moved back into a more isolated spot.
Aaand how it looks so far on the model! Next task: work out how to render in that toon shader/consistent colour style – you can keep your ultra-detailed realistic models!